Booking policies help reduce the likelihood of no-shows. Dojo allows you to both request deposits from parties when they make a booking, or hold their payment card on file so they can be charged in the event of a no-show or late cancellation.
- Create a booking policy
- Add a booking policy to a booking schedule
- Add a booking policy to a manual booking
- Booking policies on remote bookings
- Cancelling and editing bookings
- How to handle deposits on the final bill
Create a booking policy
- Click Settings in the sidebar and select ‘Bookings’
- Select the Policies tab at the top of the screen
- Click ‘Add a policy’
- Configure your policy:
- Select the type of policy:
- Card on file policies require a party to enter their payment information when they make a booking. The customer is only charged if they don’t show up for their booking or cancel outside the cancellation window
- Deposit policies also require a party to enter their payment information when they make a booking. However, the party is required to pay upfront. The amount is deducted from their final bill or refunded if they cancel within the cancellation window
- Enter a policy amount and select whether it’s applied per Head or Booking
- Per Head applies the amount to each cover in the party
Per Booking applies a flat amount on the whole booking
- Enter a cancellation window. This is how far ahead of the booking date the party can cancel without incurring a fee. Enter the number of units and select a time frame (minutes, hours, days or weeks)
Then, click Next
- Review the message the party will see when they place a booking. This message is automatically generated based on the policy terms selected in step 4.
You can also add a secondary policy message if there are any additional terms.
When done, click Save
The policy is listed under the Policy tab and can now be applied to booking schedules.
Edit or delete the policy at any time, or click ‘Add a policy’ to add additional booking policies.
Add a booking policy to a booking schedule
- Click Settings in the sidebar and select ‘Booking availability’
- Click the three-dot menu next to your booking schedule and select ‘Edit’
- Click 'Continue' on the first screen ('Details')
- On the next screen, click ‘+ Add a booking policy’
- Select a policy from the dropdown menu and select the party sizes to apply the policy to
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 if different policies apply to different party sizes
- When you’re finished, click 'Continue'
- On the next page, click 'Save schedule.'
Any booking schedule with at least one booking policy attached to it will be marked with a relevant ‘Deposit’ or 'Card on File' label.
Add a booking policy to a manual booking
When manually entering a booking, if the party size, date and time matches a booking
policy Dojo will show it in the Add Party menu:
- Check ‘Apply policy to the booking’ to enforce it. Leave it empty it if you don’t want to charge the customer. How the policy is applied depends on the type:
Card on fileDeposit
Booking policies on remote bookings
If a customer makes a booking from the Dojo app, or your restaurant’s web link, the booking policy, any secondary policy message, and the deposit amount will be shown to the customer.
They check a box to confirm they accept the policy details, then enter their payment details on the next page to complete the booking.
Cancelling and editing bookings
If a party doesn’t show up for their booking, mark them as a No-Show. Then, locate their party on the Parties list using the filters.
- If there was a card on file policy associated with the booking, you will be asked to confirm them as a no-show.
The card state will be marked as ‘Pending.’ You have 2 days from the date of the booking to charge the card.
- Click the pending charge to see the party’s payment details.
- Click ‘Charge card’ to take the payment. Confirm on the next screen.
The customer will receive an email receipt.
The payment can be refunded through the Dojo for the Business app. Click ‘Refund’ or locate the transaction in the transaction list using filters.
Reviewing deposits on the Dojo business app
Deposits taken through Dojo bookings appear in the Dojo business app on the transactions list as Online checkout transactions.
How a deposit affects a party’s final bill
If a party has paid a deposit, their entry on the Parties list will display a money icon . Click the party’s name to see the full details of the deposit in the Party details panel.
We recommend adding a ‘deposit’ as a button on your restaurant’s POS till and applying this to a party as soon as they are seated. This means the deposit is reflected on their final bill.