You can still take a payment manually if your customer’s card isn’t present for the transaction, such as when making an order over the phone.
You can only take card payments manually if they were approved for your business during the signup process.
In this article:
- How to enable manually keyed transactions
- How take a card payment manually
- What to do if an address check fails
How to enable manually keyed transactions
Before you can take a manual card payment, you must enable manually keyed transactions in your card machine’s settings:
- Tap the menu icon in the top-left corner of the screen
- Click ‘settings’ in the menu
- Click ‘manually keyed transactions’
- Toggle ‘Manually keyed transactions’ to On
- If you want to be able to skip address verification, and this is allowed for your account, toggle this on to see this option when making a CNP transaction
Note: We recommend alway verifying a card’s registered address during a manually keyed transaction to reduce the risk of fraud.
How to take a card payment manually
- Enter the amount on the sale screen and tap ‘confirm’
- Add gratuity if applicable
- On the payment screen, tap the three dot menu in top-left of the screen and select ‘Manually keyed transaction’
- Enter the card number and expiry date, then the CVV number
- Enter the first line of your customer’s address and postcode to complete the address check
Note: If is enabled in your settings, tap 'pay without address check' to skip the address verification process
- Tap ‘Pay’ to process the transaction
What to do if an address check fails
If the address check fails, you will see a red warning message and need to decide whether to proceed with the transaction.
Remember that you can disable the address verification service in the settings.