The virtual terminal allows you to securely request payments from customers when you’re away from your card machine or the cardholder isn’t present, helping you to take payments remotely without a website or over the phone.
You can also take remote payments via email or text message with payment links. Find out how.
In this article:
- How to take a payment using the virtual terminal
- How to review transactions paid by virtual terminal
- How to refund virtual terminal transactions
How to take a payment using the virtual terminal
Select Tools in the toolbar, then select ‘Payments.' If you have remote payments enabled for multiple trading locations, select which one you want to generate the link from.
- Click ‘Create payment’
- On the next page, select ‘Virtual terminal’ then fill out the transaction amount and add a description to provide more context for the transaction - this could be the product or service being paid for.
- Select whether you need your customer to enter their shipping address as well as their billing address. This is useful if you are shipping something to them.
- Click ‘Proceed to payment’ when you’re ready to take the payment
- Enter the shipping address if you selected it earlier, otherwise enter the card details when prompted
- Click ‘Pay’ to charge the cardholder and complete the transaction.
How to review transactions paid by virtual terminal
Remote payments are listed on the ‘Payments’ tab, but they are on your account’s transaction list like any other card machine transaction, with the payment method recorded as ‘eCommerce.’ The description you entered when generating the payment link will also be recorded.
Select 'Cardholder details' to see the billing address for the transaction, as well as the shipping address if it was recorded.
How to refund virtual terminal transactions
Select the transaction you want to refund from the transactions list and click ‘Refund.’
Is there a fee to use the virtual terminal?
Can I have a merchant receipt for virtual terminal transactions?